Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Long Haul to Aulnay

The book says its 32km from Melle to Aulnay but it took 9 hours and seemed longer. 

It rained all morning before clearing up to be a nice scattered cloudy, windy  day. There were some nice rolling hills which did wonders for the scenery and although I'm still in the sunflower/ corn belt there are finally some farm animals to enjoy!

BREAKING BAD SPOILER ALERT!  Skip to next paragraph to avoid!
My feet aren't anywhere near as bad as last time. I've got blisters on the bottom of both but there not swollen up "Botero feet" like I had most of the last trip. They are especially painful this evening and in memory of Hank I'd like to recall one of my favorite Hank & Marie exchanges - from when he was rehabbing from his run in with the Salamanca twins. 
Marie: "Remember Hank, pain is just weakness leaving your body."
Hank: "Wrong Marie. Pain is my foot in your ass!"

The two Canadians from a couple of days ago didn't walk today so that left me with Pascal. Remember when I said that when navigation is involved, four heads are better than one?  When Pascal's is involved one head is better than two. He constantly asks locals for tips on shortcuts, etc. and takes them as gospel. 12km from Aulnay he stopped at a house to refill his water bottle and came out insisting that I was leading us in the wrong direction. We had lost the waymarks but I found a great route on Google Maps that I KNEW was the best route. Sometimes GM serves up some gems. This post's photo is the road it sent me on- direct to Aulnay.

I got into town an hour ago. Haven't seen Pascal yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment