Sunday, September 15, 2013

I Hope France Enjoys Its New LGV

Navigating this route is really tricky, especially for a non French speaker. I have the best guidebook and can make out a lot of it but there's a lot of nuance in navigation that I don't understand. There are waymarks all over the Via Turonensis but the problem is that France is building a new LGV (Ligne Tres Vitessse - high speed train line) that has discombobulated the route. Apparently it runs on pretty much the same path as the chemin (Camino). I don't know for how long but so far it's everywhere I've been. Many of the Chemin waymarks lead directly into these construction zones. Once it's finished in 2015 the route will probably be stabilized but till then the best option is sometimes pretty bad - walking on the side of highways. Today about 7 of the 30 km were on the D611. 

Before I get off the topic of trains, have I said how much I love French trains?  Even the regular trains are way better and faster than even the Acela. The photo is of the regular ( non high speed) train I took from Orleans to Tours. 

I'm in a town called Lusignan this eve staying at another awesomely named hotel. Le Chapeau Rouge (Red Hat). There's a big purple hat painted on the front, it doesn't open for check-in till 6PM and they don't serve dinner on Sundays. Still I'm happy to call it home for the evening. I'm off to find some food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment