Monday, September 16, 2013

Damn That Was A Good Day!

Last night I told my pal Pascal that I'd meet him by the church in Lusignan to walk to Chenay. On my way there an "older than me" couple with backpacks were walking in the opposite direction and asked me if I was "the American". As it turned out they (Louise and Greg) are Canadians living in Florida and we all walked to Chenay together. 

With four brains involved we managed to not get lost and spent a mere half km walking along the "interstate". Pascal is from Chatrre and is in the know about the in-season tasty treats growing along the side of the trail so we spent a good amount of time chomping down delicious blackberries, walnuts and even a couple of pears.  It took about six hours to get here and when we did it turned out that the town's only hotel had been shut down. Pascal had already made a reservation at a "Chambre D'hôte" and called it to see if the rest of us could stay as well, and so here we all are. 

The first thing the lady of the house asked us was if we wanted her to do our laundry!!  All of a sudden I'm awash in clean dry clothes!

I forgot how fantastic the meals can be at the Cd'Hs. This was one for the ages. Potato soup -> beet salad, carrot salad, and freshly picked sliced tomatoes with chopped onions -> sliced beef with buttery potatoes -> assortment of local cheeses -> brownies with a concoction of melted caramel ice cream on top. To top it off the man of the house went over to a ten gallon bottle of clear liquid and poured some shots. Only the host,  another guest (a wine merchant who was there with his college-student daughter) and I accepted. The rest of them looked at me mischievously and asked if I knew what it was. "Firewater!  Aguardiente!  GRAPPA!"  They seemed duly impressed that an American was so well indoctrinated to fine European digestifs. I had the awesome privilege of teaching the college how to drink her first sip of grappa. "Deep breath, take a sip, exhale slowly". I think she liked it. 

Tomorrow, off to Melle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment