Saturday, May 9, 2015

What the Hake!?

I just didn't feel it this morning. I'd had a bunch of long days, it was gray and dreary outside, blah, blah, blah. So I only went 12km or so to San Vicente de la Barquera. It's another seaside fishing town and I got here at 1PM.

I discovered another great Tripadvisor tool today. When I arrived, I was jonesing for something specific. White fish sizzling in olive oil with garlic in one of those clay baking dishes. I looked up the best restaurants in town on TA. I never thought to look a the reviewers photo section but since I knew what I wanted but not what it was called, photos were just what I needed.

Boga Boga is the top rated restaurant in town and they had exactly what I was looking for. I practically ran there and was afraid they'd take a look (or a whiff) of me and not let me in. But it was the opposite. They seemed to enjoy the arrival on a hiker with backpack and walking stick and even gave me a free fish soup to start just for being a pilgrim.

I logged on to their wifi, fired up TA and showed them the picture of what I wanted. It's hake, which is very similar to cod. It wasn't the cheapest meal but not too expensive either. The soup, green salad, hake, half bottle of white wine, ice cream tart thing, and cortada for €41. And they threw in an awesome shot of ice cold orujo. It tasted like it had been fermented from old tires. That stuff isn't supposed to taste good.

No comments:

Post a Comment