Sunday, May 3, 2015

Double Down?

Yesterday's decision to stay at the combination hotel / gas station in Onton was a mistake.  I should have toughed it out to Castro Urdiales.  My big question this morning was whether I should attempt a massive 40km+ excursion to Laredo, Get myself somewhere between Castro Urdiales and Laredo (25km or so) or have a mini-vacation day by only going to Castro U.  The first two felt like doubling down on yesterday's mistake; even if I found every shortcut it would have been 40km so I wouldn't have been able to make option number one.  The places to stay with option two were the worst reviewed places I've seen so far so both of those ideas seemed like doubling down on yesterday's bad one.

So here I am in Castro U.  It's a beautiful place and my only complaint is that there's only one working electrical outlet and it's in the bathroom.  It's also one of those places where you have to put your room key card into a slot just inside the door for any of the electricity to work so I can't recharge anything when I go out to eat.

As nice as the town is I'm a little cranky because I've cost myself a day.  Also, the town is too big to expect to run into anyone else who's doing the camino.  Anyway, I've got some serious first world problems as you can tell.  As if that's not bad enough, I'm hungry now but restaurants won't open for another two hours so I guess I'll have to go grab a beer and some tapas.  Woe is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment