Friday, May 8, 2015

I'm Very Careful

I was talking to a guy on one of the stretches that was actually on the beach. Earlier he had told me that he slipped on a rock outside of Bilbao resulting in a broken tooth and a couple of stitches. I felt bad for the guy and remembered how hard it is to avoid slippery rocks sometimes when he points to a very big slippery looking rock sticking out of the sand and says "That's just like the rock I broke my tooth on!" 
"You mean it was on the beach?" I asked.
"Yeah, the first beach I saw." He replied.
"What the hell were you doing on the rock?!"
"Taking a selfie!"
Even he saw the humor in it.

One thing I've never messed with is train tracks. The only thing that belongs on train tracks are trains!

There is a famous spot on yesterday's stage where you have to cross a river. Back in the day (hundreds of years ago), there were so many on the camino that there were ferries to take people across. Now the only way across is to either take a 10km detour to the south, or cross a railroad bridge. The bridge itself is only 100 meters long, but you have to be on the tracks for a lot longer - all the way to the next train station a km away. I scoped out the bridge and it looked dangerous. If someone was on the bridge at the same time as trains on both tracks they wouldn't survive. The walls were too high even to jump into the river. And besides, in the half hour I spent pondering this, I saw three trains. So it wasn't like it was an unused stretch of track.

I talked to couple of German guys before I went and looked at the bridge and they were undecided. By the time I got back to where they were to tell them how dangerous it looked, they had already decided to take the bridge.   Later in the day I spoke with three older French women who also walked across the bridge.

I still think I made the right choice. I know I did. There was a station 500 meters back in the direction I came from. the trains I saw were local passenger trains so I went back to the station, waited 10 minutes and hopped on the next train. It took less then 2 minutes to get to the next station. The German guys had just gotten there so we had a beer at the station bar and continued on. We all saved ourselves 10km.

2 comments:

  1. I think the bridge would have been a great place for a selfie !!!

    ReplyDelete