Thursday, June 18, 2015

If I Were Mayor!

First of all, I'd install some traffic lights. I've seen about three in the three days since getting here. The main past time here is avoiding being hit by a car or a tram. The trams are long, fast and run right along the side of the road so you can't see traffic on the other side of them. Istanbul is also a city of sidewalk cafés. These cafés take up the ENTIRE sidewalk and sometimes extend a few feet into the road itself. I've only seen two bicyclists, and they were using the tram tracks as a bike path, which is impressive since they are riding parallel to the sunken tram tracks.

Restraunteers and merchants are insane. Do not make eye contact with them!  They have a very difficult time taking no for an answer. Their insistence on haggling is exhausting. Even my hotel - which I booked online tried tried to haggle. In the end that worked out though - I got an 8% discount for paying cash.

I took a ferry across to Asia and back this afternoon. It really is a magnificent city. I'd like to check out the new city. There's a Shake Shack there!

2 comments: