Friday, June 12, 2015

Bordi Berri

The winner is Bordi Berri. As elegant as the Shagwong in Montauk but less than half the size with food that is goosebump good. I managed six pintxos in two visits. Chunk of duck breast in pureed, carmelized onion & applesauce (I think), a big 'falling off the bone' spare rib in a more sweet than sour sauce, two inch chunk of Galician style pulpo, and a gazpacho - like soup called Salmorejo.

I happenned to be walking past Bar Nestor as it was opening for the evening and reserved a piece of tortilla. I was standing in the street at the window and was able to see Nestor himself making the tortilla. It took a full half hour and given how he does it (slowly!) I can see why he only makes two per day.

I'm on the bus now from San Sebastian to Madrid.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve ...was in San Sebastian last summer...loved it as I did Bilbao...food heavens.
    Hope to see you out east ??

    ReplyDelete