Tuesday, June 9, 2015

I'll Never Make It As A Food Photographer

Some people follow the Michelin Guide, others rely on gourmet magazines to advise them where to eat. I'm a Tripadvisor person. It's the consensus of lots of people from all over. The Applebys crowd and the celebrity chef snobs cancel each out so what's left is the consensus opinion of people who like food.

Using TA as my guide, I went to three "top 15" places earlier today. The first one is like Jill's 'Market Bar' in Madrid, only smaller and fancier. I slept late and didn't get there till almost 11. They had delicious looking treats from the bakery to I ordered a coffee and was about to order a chocolate croissant but then changed my mind. I had a piece of anchovy tortilla that was fantastic.

After looking around for a couple of hours it was lunch time. I started with some pinxtos, which are like mini-meals.  The place I went was one of those places that's like a food lab / studio. I only had a couple of basic mushroom-on-toast things but got to witness some crazy looking stuff with dry ice, ice cream in clear sugar cones, baby squid suspended  in globes of some kind of gelatin - stuff like that.

But the big event of the day was lunch itself. I hadn't had a steak in a long time but I spotted an opening at the bar at Bar Nestor. It's number three on Tripadvisor - and a steak place. There's only one table (s four-top) so everyone eats at the bar!!  They only serve one thing, a tomatoes in olive oil salad followed by small green peppers flash fried in olive oil with sea salt, followed by a big ol bone-in ribeye. Basque style. Seared on both sides, sliced up and on a sizzling metal platter.

It was one of the bigger steaks I've ever seen but I finished the while thing. It was delish. Tomatoes, peppers, steak, three glasses of vino tinto and a coffee for €45. Not cheap but not bad for the number three restaurant in San Sebastian!

Anyway, I'm headed out for dinner!

1 comment:

  1. yea man you suck who wants to see the carnage ? unless you have a four legged following I'm not aware of

    ReplyDelete