Thursday, October 5, 2017

Tautology?

There were seven of us at El Mulino last night. Me, a Chilean couple, father / daughter from Logrono and a couple from Geneva - they walked here from there starting July 20th.

The rooms at El Molino were okay. Dinner was excellent. Some kind of carrot soup to start followed by high end ham, fried zucchini, chorizo and cheese served all together. Then a delicious artichoke tortilla with pimientos de padron, then slightly carmelized salmon. There was a meat thing as well but I didn't have any of that. I ate so much of everything else.

To remind you, this was the place that was 10km (I said 6 yesterday but I was wrong) off the Camino that came to pick me & the Chilean couple up at the albergue in Hornillos del Camino. It was a 20 minute drive.  Once we sat down to dinner I started gauging the crowd's morning routine. All six of those people wanted to leave by 7am. I'm like 'come on? Why?'  They're like 'it's gonna be hot tomorrow'.

I was hoping that there was only one car for the six of us, so they'd have to make two trips - I'd be in the second batch. But the old woman (by the way,  "old" means older than me) who ran the joint proudly told us that they had two cars and two drivers - but we couldn't leave til 7:30. Breakfast was at 7.

I looked into the Chilean couple's eyes and made them PROMISE that they wouldn't leave without me. They looked back in earnest and PROMISED they wouldn't. After breakfast (coffee and toast) it was still pitch dark - and I was 95% packed so a layer back down in bed for a couple of minutes and closed my eyes.

Next thing I hear is the Chilean woman on her way out the door saying "buen camino!"  Bolted up, stuffed the rest of my crap in my backpack, found my boots and ran out just as the old man was shutting the hatchback (His wife was driving the car with me and the Chileans). I shook my head disappointingly at at them and said "you promised!"  They replied "and we didn't!"  Touché to them.

I was in the front seat with the Chileans in back. They were speaking Spanish but I could follow what they were saying. "Nice house. How old?  Has it always been in the family?"  "Thanks. 200 years. Yes."  The grandma asked me where I'm from and I told her. "Muchos Americanos (Spanish words) Camino" to which I replied that yeah porque el peliqula (which is supposed to have meant because of the movie.

The Chileans didn't know about the movie and i was really glad that I'd made that remark because the woman told the Chileans the story  that was in the link on yesterday's post. The girl that married Emilio Estavez's son is her daughter.  It confirmed what I thought might be true: that without the woman who made me such a fantastic meal, and is now driving me back to the Camino, I would almost certainly not be in her car after eating the dinner she made.

Years ago my friend Kevin, who ran a 4:00.1 mile as a philosophy major in college tried to explain what tautology meant in the philosophical context (not the rhetorical).  A story that is true from all perspectives.  I wonder if this story is an example?



No comments:

Post a Comment