Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Via de la Plata.

Day one and I'm in full whining mode. Nobody loves European trains more than me but not even the 2.5 hour (perfect amount of time), 200 mph AVE train from Madrid to Seville put me in a good mood.

I'm at the beginning of the Via de la Plata. It's an old Roman road that runs pretty much straight north from Seville. Not Constantine old - Augustus old. As a matter of fact I think Tiberius was born not far north of here so the VdlP is twice as old as the Camino de Santiago.

For some reason I pride myself on being totally unprepared for these walks so I know very little about it except this: tomorrow is going to suck. The destination is a suburb with a name that starts with a 'G' and seems to be best know for its park and ride lot for commuters. Tripadvisor adjectives for lodging there are 'grim' and 'sad'.

This is not my first camino rodeo and in some ways I've mastered the packing part of it. Time will tell but so far the only thing I know that I've forgotten is my phone charger. I do have the cord but not the base unit so I can always plug it into my laptop.

Since I didn't have a hat I got one at a souvenir store across from the cathedral. It says 'SEVILLA' with 'since 1869' underneath.

Anyway, off I go. I'm writing this offline after eating a paella and gazpacho dinner. The paella was full of mussels. I can't understand why anyone would intentionally order mussels. At least clams are festive and taste like the ocean. Mussels?

No comments:

Post a Comment