Friday, July 3, 2015

Rugs

I think I've started to figure this place out. Yes, people are aggressive and they are all trying to sell you something but at the end of the day that's how tourism works in Istanbul.

I had shown the slightest interest in Turkish rugs to Bulent,  the ringleader from the other night. After that he insisted that I visit his rug shop. I was inclined to blow him off this afternoon but it occurred to me that people seemed to enjoy being led around by their tour / pr guides.  So I met Bulent in Sultanahmet and he took me to meet his boss, Hakan, who must be one of the Godfathers of rugs in Istanbul.

He tried to convince me to become an importer of Turkish rugs. They really are interesting and beautiful. Everything is hand made- the yarn, dye, etc. Who wants to start a rug importing business with me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment